Sunday, October 21, 2012

What faith for miracles looks like

I always seem to be drawn back to this part of the Bible. This time as I read John 11:20-27 I was inspired by Martha. She and her sister Mary were believers, they knew Jesus well. Their brother had died, they were grieving, and they had waited days for Jesus to respond.


Nonetheless, Martha went out to meet Jesus when she heard that He was on His way (v.20). It would have been quite legitimate not to. When we are grieving or going through difficulty it is easy to give up – even just for a season – on seeking God. Martha hadn’t given up on her faith in Jesus. She took what must have felt like a risk even though she was hurting.

Martha expressed her feelings honestly and respectfully (v.21). I’m encouraged by the honest way that Martha shared her feelings of disappointment with Jesus. I’m encouraged because I know that she knew Jesus well and felt that this was okay to speak that way to Him. I’m encouraged that Jesus didn’t flinch at this or find fault.

Martha was quick to follow this with an expression of her faith (v.22). She must have been feeling all sorts of things, yet she still acknowledged with her words that anything was possible with God. Martha also hadn’t given up on what she had been taught, she hadn’t thrown out her theology on end times (v.24).

Martha again acknowledged her faith by confessing that Jesus is the Messiah and Son of God (v.27). Although she was grieving and disappointed, Martha didn’t give up. She went out to Jesus, she told Him how she felt, and she expressed her faith. Jesus, in His own wisdom and grace, had made them wait 4 days. But then, He did it. Jesus raised Lazarus back to life. Not in the end of time but right then and there.

Martha received her miracle. God is indeed good.

But hold the press just a moment. My next day’s reading blew me away even more. Of course I learnt from Martha that I should seek Jesus even when it’s tough, that I should express my feelings and my faith to Him. But just before I make a recipe or an equation or a contract out of the process to receiving your miracle, I learnt something else from Mary, actually about God.

He is so gracious. Mary didn’t go out to meet Jesus. We don’t hear any great professions of faith. She may well have been an emotional mess. She made Jesus cry. But Mary also received her miracle.

Sometimes faith looks like Martha and sometimes like Mary. But God is always good, and powerful, and unpredictable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment